Monday 15 July 2013

Fast day dinner - courgette lasagne

Sorry for lack of pictures, I completely forgot (bad blogger!). 
So after a birthday spent on the sofa in 30 degree heat under a duvet shivering like a sickly newborn giraffe, I can report that yesterday saw my return to food (nearly). Having not eaten really for 3 days I took it slowly, food still kind if made me want to retch. Nice.

Anyway, moving swiftly on... Courgettes. I have 2 plants at the moment making courgettes of amusing shapes and sizes for all they're worth. I reckon we're getting at least one a day on average, and I still have 2 plants maturing; think I may have got overexcited with the seeds! Anyway, it's making me more inventive. I actually did say the phrase the other day 'there's only so much you can do with a courgette'. Then heard what had come out of my mouth. Ahem.

This recipe is a skimmed down version of a BBC recipe, and by my calculations had 250 cals per quarter. But feel free to bulk up if you're not an idiot that doesn't eat two days a week ;). It's excellent for you and I have to say, pretty ruddy lovely. Even Mr B was a fan.

Ingredients:
4 courgettes, grated coarsely and squeezed a bit to get rid of some water
250g fat free quark
2 cloves garlic
8 sage leaves
Few sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
5 lasagne sheets
2 tins tomatoes
1 red onion, finely diced
Handful of basil, torn
Squidge of tomato purée

Method:
Sweat the onion in a splash of water (I'd use olive oil if this wasn't a super low cal effort) until translucent then add tomatoes, purée and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently while you make the courgette stuff.

Mix courgettes, chopped sage and thyme, a good hefty pinch of salt and the garlic together, then add the quark so you have a pale green schmush. 

Layer up! Tomato, then courgette, then pasta, then tomato, then courgette on top. Maybe sprinkle the basil in and amongst while you go. You could go mad and grate a bit of nutmeg in too, that's an excellent idea I've only just had. Anyway, if you're making this for a normal day I'd add another layer of pasta and a healthy dose of cheese on top.

Bake it for 30-40 mins at 180 then dive in (it's hot, be careful!!). Not bad for 250 cals, eh?! 

Once again a demonstration that herbs are your bestest friend on a fasting day :)

JB
X

No comments:

Post a Comment