Wednesday 11 December 2013

Calentita! Baking around the world has got to Gibraltar!

This is apparently the Gibraltan national dish. It is an extremely simple recipe, and created a kind of chick pea based slightly wet Yorkshire pudding type thing. 
I ate it for dinner tonight with some avocado, tomato and goats cheese salad... It was certainly nice, but a bit too pasty for my liking; I did cook it for ages and ages (1 1/4 hours) but it kind of seemed to defy physics and remain kind of paste like in the middle!

Anyhow, here's a pic: the mixture is VERY wet but all the recipes I found added the same amount of water!

The flavour was lovely though, I love chick peas and this had that lovely nutty, creamy flavour. Nice!

Ingredients:
250g chick pea flour (often I'm the Asian section of the supermarket)
850 ml water
Salt and pepper
Enough olive oil to cover the base of a 20x30cm ovenproof dish


1. Stir together the flour, water and seasoning. Leave this for a couple of hours (or overnight).
2. Put the oil in the dish and put it in a very hot oven (225 degrees) until the oil is hot.
3. Carefully pour the flour and water into the dish after a good stir
4. Bake for (apparently) an hour at 180 - 200 degrees: I needed at least 1 1/4 hours.

Not a great success as far as I'm concerned! I would love to try some how it's meant to be as I fear I may not have done it justice!

JB x

No comments:

Post a Comment