Saturday 30 November 2013

Snowflake Christmas cake

Today, I finished decorating this year's Christmas cake. It's made to my Mum's excellent fruitcake recipe, which has converted even the most reluctant fruitcake eater into a fan.

A really nice way to decorate cakes is with a simple design, with an emphasis on textures and a nice, clean finish. This method works really well on celebration cakes and wedding cakes, and I chose snowflakes for this year's Christmas effort.

The pearl effect on the snowflakes is the brilliant Mich Turner Pearl Lustre, a magical produce which is now unavailable. And this makes me sad. Please Silver Spoon, bring it back!!! It came in three colours and I only have pearl left, and it's a gorgeous thick but flowable paint which dries to a beautiful gentle lustre.

This technique works best with playing with different sizes of cutter, and is a really impressive but simple way to make a cake look lovely :)



JB x

No comments:

Post a Comment