Sunday 21 April 2013

Egg free, butter free sponge cake (vegan)

Now here's a surprise.

I made this as an experiment, as I have had a few people asking me about egg free cakes. The recipe I found trawling the internet sound alike it would produce an inedible lump (or a 'pile of flour' as a friend suggested :)).

But this emerged from the oven...



Alarming. It actually tasted nice! The texture was fab, and the flavour not bad at all. See notes afterwards for how I'll change it next time, but here's the plain old cake recipe:

  • 1 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1 cup water
  •  6 tablespoons oil (neutral flavoured, meaning vegetable, sunflower or groundnut)
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method: mix all ingredients and whisk for a few seconds until smooth and non-lumpy. Place into two 20cm greased sandwich tins and bake at 175 (degrees C, fan assisted) for 20 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. I cooled it then sandwiched it with jam (my home made jam which is a little runny, hence the artistic dribbling!)

Well, I have to say this was a revelation. My tips would be for future baking:

1. I think (so long as vegans weren't eating it!) I would use melted butter instead of the oil to give extra richness.
2. Milk would, again, in my view improve the depth of flavour in the place of water.
3. Normal flavourings could be added e.g. lemon zest, a couple of good tablespoons of cocoa powder, etc. 



Could also be adapted to make a gluten free dairy free effort by substituting gluten free flour blend for the plain flour, and ensuring you use gluten free baking powder. Although that would then be a vegan, gluten free cake which would blow my mind... This has unnerved me as I usually think anything made without copious amounts of butter and egg and gluten would taste pants. And if anyone makes it successfully using sugar substitute and gluten free flour I will indeed accuse you of witchcraft...!

JB

No comments:

Post a Comment