Monday 18 November 2013

Baking around the world... Cambodia

This week saw this...

Cambodian coconut pound cake, also known as Num Tirk Doung. It's a dense-ish Madeira type cake made with coconut milk and shredded fresh coconut, along with a lot of vanilla extract! Safe to say, Mr B was a big fan.

Recipe for 1 loaf tin cake (I used a 2lb tin but you could probably for it into one)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup melted butter
4 medium eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbs (yes, I know!) vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I used fresh, I'm sure dessicated unsweetened would work too)

Method:
1. Grease or line the tin, preheat oven to 160 (fan).
2. Mix the melted butter, sugar and eggs together until smooth and goopy.
3. Add the coconut milk and vanilla.
4. Add in the flour and baking powder and mix briefly, then stir through the coconut. 
5. Pour into the tin and bake for approx 1 hour until a skewer comes out clean.

The cake came out like a lovely moist buttery coconutty delight. It also lasted well wrapped in cling film. Me being me, I decided it would also be excellent with some icing (what cake isn't?!)... I'd probably do something with a bit of a bite like a lime glacĂ© icing or a cream cheese frosting. 
Loved this with a cup of tea! 
Next stop... The Philippines x

No comments:

Post a Comment