Thursday 24 January 2013

Fast day dinner - My Mum's soup :)

Thursday = fasting day for me. Today, i munched my way through (or rather 'slurped') one cup of tea (essential in the morning. I love love love my tea more than anything, apart from probably my husband), one cup of miso soup and another tea. Total until dinnertime - about 40 calories...

So dinner today is my Mum's 'golden soup' recipe. Nutritious and delicious and low calorie. Wins all round. Here's how it goes...

1. Chop an onion, roughly, finely, however you fancy. Optional fancy dress - stripy jumper and garlic on a string round your neck.
2. Fry it until it's a bit brownish around some edges in 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
3. Add 4 medium carrots, quite finely sliced, and 3 peppers (red and yellow are perfect, green is a little bitter for this recipe. And it would make your soup a kinds funky brown instead of nice and 'golden'...)
4. Add some flavour - a stock cube, a squidge of tomato puree, a slosh of balsamic vinegar and a decent rounded teaspoon of smoked paprika.
5. Add a tin of tomatoes and about 1.5 litres of boiling water, simmer it all for 10-15 mins, blitz with a stick blender or in a food processor.
6. Serve with a dollop of low fat natural yogurt. Rejoice in your healthy bowl of orangey deliciousness!

Here it is in picture form...
Onions...

Peppers...

Stuff in  pan...

Bowl of yum

By my (and MFP) calculations this whole batch has 500 calories in, and makes 4 big fat bowlfuls. Add about 20 calls for yogurt and if you use veg bullion powder it would be gluten free too.

So that's my 150 calorie dinner! Enough calories left over for a bowl of frozen berries defrosted and drizzled with honey and yogurt. Deeeeee-lish!


No comments:

Post a Comment