Wednesday 23 January 2013

Roasted butternut squash canneloni

Dinner tonight...
Roasted butternut squash canneloni. Yum! I'm going to put my Nigellissima hat on now and claim that this is 'inspired' by Italy, certainly not an actual Italian recipe from actual Italy. It tastes lush though so who cares?! I made this up as it has some of my favourite ingredients in and is a lovely winter warmer for a brrrrrrr chilly evening.

It doesn't take long - maybe an hour and a bit start to finish, but a lot of this is just while stuff is in the oven. You could hurry it along by buying ready made pancakes, or roasting your squash beforehand. This amount fed tow hungryish people with a portion left for Mr B's lunch tomorrow. Win.










1. Roast some squash - I used half a bigg'un.
 Dice into about 1.5cm dice, roast 180 degrees
for 30 mins in a drizzle of oil.
2. Schmoodge a pot of ricotta cheese with a good bit of nutmeg.

 3. Mix the squash in. Squash it a bit. Squash the squash.
















4. Make some pancakes (batter mix pack or 110g plain flour, 1 egg, 280mls milk. Whatevs. I made 6.)


5. Season the filling, roll the filling in the pancakes.

6. Make a quick tomato sauce - tinned toms simmered with a splash of red vermouth (or open a tin of pasta sauce!), then put half of it in the bottom of an ovenproof dish.

7. Place your pancakes on your sauce, put the rest of the tommy sauce on top, grated cheese. Oven, 30 mins. This is what you get...


All kinds of delicious! Even if I do say so myself...
I might try mixing it up with different fillings - spinach, peppers, bolognese, leftover chilli... All wrapped in pancakes, smothered in sauce and cheesed. Yum yum!!

PS - saturday's cake project is ON!!! I'm pretty excited. I also have a cake date next week... Photos and recipes to follow!


No comments:

Post a Comment